Monday, August 18, 2008

Roadtrip to Pagudpud (Before the Trip)

Long overdue notes from my March '08 roadtrip from Manila to Pagudpud...

The ~600km drive to Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte is a long but very rewarding trip. A lot has been written about it, but I still want to keep my own account of it here and share the nice stuff I saw along the way.

Ok... so to start off... It's easy to get there, but getting ready is the hardest part:

1) Itinerary - I had 4 days to spend on this trip. To maximize this I need to travel really early on day 1, and start to head back around noontime of day 4. By the end of day 1 I should be able to stop and get rest either in Vigan or Laoag, move around, then spend 2 days farther up north before driving back. It's a tight schedule, but good thing I have a day 5 buffer in case something goes wrong or we decide to skip work and enjoy some more.

2) Maps - EZ Maps from National Bookstore. They will cost about 100 pesos each and will last for a couple of trips before they disintegrate. For this trip I got 2 maps: the Luzon Map and the Sanfernando/La Union/Vigan/Laoag city map. They have distance markers that allow me to predict where I'll be at specific times.

3) Points of Interest and Where to Stay - Wow Philippines website, my EZ Maps and the famous Anton Diaz blog to see where I can go. Google Earth also gave me a lot of free information from plug-in applications like WikiMapia, Panoramio, and a few others. I had to find the sites by town to make sure my list is properly sequenced. At the end of this post is a rough OC plan I used to manage my trip using waypoints.ph data.

4) Food - as a general rule we always hit the road with an extra meal and water in case we get lost or hungry/thirsty on our way. Major cities are hours apart. I still remember in one of my past trips a long stretch of Jollibee signs which read "straight ahead" for a branch which was at least 30 kilometers away.

5) Transportation - Check: a) car fluids like coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, and engine oil (and even the wiper fluid), b) tires -- check the treads, inflation, nuts, and the spare tire c) electrical - all front/rear/interior lights and dashboard instruments, d) windshield cracks, e) brakes, f) aircon, g) wiper, h) battery, i) toolset. Expect a lot of trouble (and higher chances of meeting San Pedro) if any of these are not OK.

6) Fuel - the rule is to always keep the fuel tank at least half-full throughout the trip. Full tank offers the flexibility to take sudden side trips and will help you avoid using the gasoline in Pepsi-litro bottles (the ones used by motorcycles).

7) Driving hours - As much as possible I should be in major cities by sunset. It's hard to get help at night in the middle of rice fields and barely populated areas. Also, try to keep the car's exterior clean as the dust traps daytime heat and builds up moisture at night.

8) Camera - would be wise to bring the charger and borrow extra batteries and empty memory cards for those memorable photos from the trip. Polarizing filters too for those awesome scenery shots that will make you cry.

9) Clothes - 1 set per day, plus 2 extra sets for sweaty days, and 2 sets for water activities. 2 pairs of sandals for wet/muddy and dry locations, 1 cap, shades. Bring socks if you want to look funny.

10) Bags - 1 for valuables, and another for stuff I can leave in the car or hotel.

11) Entertainment - CD's or music players, PSP, etc. for the boring parts of the long trip and in case your companions turn lousy.

12) Cellphone - for emergencies, and for reporting needs.

13) Plastic bags - for dirty/wet clothes, and for camera/cellphone protection.

my rough plan

No comments: