Monday, February 5, 2007

[Korea] Annyeonghaseyo, Hanguk!


Preflight

Getting my first Korean Visa took a little over a week. I had to get my invitation letter, certificate of employment, guarantee letter, bank statement, social security system data, passport photos and a few more small things just to complete the requirements for application. I didn't get any bookings until I actually got the visa on a Friday afternoon (I wanted to fly on a Sunday morning), but by that time, the travel agency told me that all weekend flights were already full. I waited up a bit and our agent called back and she found one available CX seat which was flying out in about 12 hours (6:30am to be exact). I had no other choice if I am not to miss my Monday meeting so I took it. That means I'll have the chance to move around on Sunday, but I also had to hurry and pack my stuff.

In-Transit

(Saturday morning, MNL to HKG)
I slept all the way until I reached HK, and exchanged my pesos to USD (I think I shouldn't have done this) thinking that the airport in Incheon would not accept pesos or Traveller's Cheques like in Guangzhou. I took a quick visit to the electronics shop there, not much has changed except for the centerpiece which was now the dSLR cameras on display. I saw a price tag beside the Nikon D40 -- about 1700 HK$ and I thought I hit the jackpot... but alas, it was for the lens only!

(Saturday afternoon, HKG to ICN)
I took out the winter jacket from my bag before boarding the plane. I had to be ready because as a first timer in a country with negative temperatures, I didn't know when the cold temperature would start to kick in -- maybe while landing, or walking through the duct to the gate, or maybe inside the airport. I was seated beside a 64 year old American who just worked on Sudoku puzzles during the flight... we talked a bit about snow and our work, and that was it.

In Korea

(Saturday afternoon, Incheon to Seoul)
I got instructions from officemates on how to reach Renaissance hotel and they gave me a cheap alternative. I heard that the hotel car transfer would cost about 200$ (that's about half the cost of flying to China). The KAL Limousine (airport bus) that goes to the same location is way cheaper (about 13$) and the ride was ok. The waiting area is just outside the airport entrance, and it was really cold (3 degrees celsius according to the flight captain).

Rennaissance Seoul Hotel

At the hotel entrance I was greeted by a lady in traditional Korean dress (chima jeogori). The attire is worn as two silk pieces -- a skirt (chima) and shirt (jeogori). Unlike Kimono's which are belted at the waist, they are tied somewhere at the chest with a long wide ribbon. You won't see people wearing this in the streets anymore. These days, they are worn usually only for their ceremonial purpose. If you want to know why, think of a situation like wearing our local Barong for a gimmick in Greenbelt. You'll need a casket or sword to make your get-up more convincing.

(Sunday afternoon)
Gyeongbokgung (Geongbok Palace)

If you've watched Jumong, Jewel In The Palace or Princess Hours, chances are, some of the scenes were shot in Geongbok Palace.

We went to Gyeongbokgung by train. It took about 20 minutes to get there and the ride wasn't bad at all. In this train there were people selling gloves and some beggars moving around. The seats were heated from below and I think it also helped keep the train car warm for all passengers.


From the station, the first thing you'll notice in the pathway is this structure. The sign says "This gate was made of monolith in imitation of Pullomun in Ch'angdŏkkung. It has a legend that once one passes through the gate, he would not be old forever." That means, on my next birthday, my age will stay the same.

Just a couple more minutes of walking and we finally reach the palace walls. From here you can see that the structure is really huge, even the camera angle isn't enough to capture the whole thing. I don't know why they used pink for the walls (does the emperor also have a pink wardrobe?) On another corner of this structure there is a small tent where you can try wearing the palace guard uniforms and take a couple of pictures. We went there during their lunchtime and closing time so we didn't get that chance.

The artwork on the palace is impressive, each pattern is made with very small details and lined up in a very precise manner. The image here shows a view under the roof.


In another area, we saw some objects of folk beliefs... stone and wood piles. People prayed to these for prosperity and abundance of crops. These were erected on roadsides or the village entrance to protect villagers and ward off evil spirits and disease. I think they are cool and very friendly to people.


Hyangwonjeong Pavillion -- some structure connected to a palace by a wooden bridge. The view from the other side is great, and if you notice, the water is very calm, making it appear like one huge mirror. The water here is slightly frozen at the surface, and some birds can actually walk on the very thin sheet of ice.


I found this kid in the palace grounds, runing around stone figures of the Chinese Zodiac. This little thing makes strange noises, and can communicate with just about anything from stones to air. He is not of any historical value yet, but with enough exposure and influence from me, maybe he will be immortalized someday in the form of a stone figure too. Sometime after I took this photo, the mom approached me and babbled some Korean words. I smiled but didn't understand what she said, so I stepped away from the kid and murmured a bit of Filipino to get even.


(Tuesday Morning) Snow!!!

I was asleep during the only snowfall of my short stay in Seoul. By the time I woke up it was all ice on the floor.










No comments: