Thursday, March 22, 2007

Buruwisan/Lanzones Falls (Siniloan, Laguna)

At first I thought this wouldn't be a successful attempt. My colds had just started and I knew ahead of time that this would worsen in the coming hours. Our planning was very rough... we just had transportation, backpacks with clothes, maps (again I have a really bad sense of direction so excuse me) and some money for food/gas. The only thing I bought before the trip was a pair of hiking sandals from Toby's.

March 21 - 4:00am. Getting there took us about 3 hours of relaxed driving. Instead of the usual south expressway, we took the more scenic route via Antipolo. We went through a couple of towns following the main highway from Antipolo that goes through Morong and Tanay (as you go through this area, you'll notice the roadside turns greener and greener), then splits somewhere after Pilila. The next leg was through mountains, taking us over half an hour of zigzag roads (at the right is an image of what half of the zigzag path looks like). We finally reached Famy area (actually we still had to turn left at that junction to the road that leads to Infanta, Quezon) at around 7:30am, fresh and ready for breakfast. The jump-off point to the falls is easy to find because there's a huge billboard with the mayor's picture. There's also a small restaurant at the left side of the road before the entrance where we took our breakfast of tapsilog and kaldereta. There were people waiting in the area, I think most of them were tricycle drivers and residents who work as part-time guides to the falls. We asked one of them to guide us and help us get a safe parking spot near this restaurant.

After breakfast, we were ready to go. I was so excited that I forgot about my colds! I just checked my stuff... extra clothes, camera, water, and pringles. Oh boy, I was ready. We walked 5 minutes down from the billboard to the registration area (yes, they keep a record here but I am not sure if they can tell who's actually in the mountains -- there is no Time Out column).

At last, it was heavy vegetation and a rugged footpath in front of us. There's nothing really beautiful about it, but it felt great to be there because it was officially the start of our 2-hour hike to Buruwisan Falls. It's a 3km path rising up about 300 meters then down about 30 meters at the last leg. There are 3 stops before reaching the only store, and after that, it's a short trek to the falls.

The climb was ok at first since the path wasn't steep and the rocks were dry. There were minor obstacles (but on each of them I started thinking how difficult it might be when we come back) and we started walking on paths beside very steep areas. Tip: Ask the guide to make a 'walking stick' for you so that you can use it as a third leg in difficult situations.

15 minutes into the footpath and Peter (my fellow beginner mountaineer) asked to stop for a bit and rest. His heart was rusty already I thought, because he hasn't exercised regularly for over a year already (maybe longer). His stamina was ok, but I think his heart was trying to catch up with the sudden increase in blood pumping requirements of this hike. We went on this way about 4 more times, stopping once in a while, until we reached the first stop. There was nothing in the area except for a few small huts where we could sit and take a rest. There's a good view from here to show you how much you climbed and a couple of happy green mountains on the other side.

We continued to the second stop at moderate pace because it was a bit muddier. There's more horse dung in this area, and they are super black in here (vs. in the first leg it was brownish after it rolled down the soily slopes). Stay away from these and be very careful, else if you step on or fall on these, you'll have to carry them all the way back. It might not be a good idea to wash them off in the falls where everyone enjoys the water. We stopped at certain points to take nice pictures of the scenery and our big faces beside it.

At the third stop it was the same stuff, but this (almost) last leg was easier because it was downhill. It rained on some sections so I thought it was going to be a dangerous, but my very reliable sandals kept my foot planted well on the mud. We didn't get any knee-high mud as others wrote earlier, maybe because in January it was still rainy. We reached the small store/stop there but it was apparently closed, but the owner was actually just doing something nearby (carrying sheets of metal to fix his roof, I think) and still selling his stuff with the store closed. In this area we could already hear the water from the falls. It sounded rather gentle so we sensed that the water would be just right.

The final final leg was very rocky. Some rocks were also slippery (I almost got sprained twice). We had to cross through ankle-deep water several times, making it harder to move through the rocks. Slowly but surely, we reached our main destination. It was beautiful, water falling from about 100 feet up, into a basin shaded by trees from the walls.

I stepped close to the water from the rocks to touch the water. The temperature was just right. When I got changed and got into the water, it was way different. The water was so cold! Probably the coldest water I have tried yet. To give a brief idea of how cold it really was... put as many ice cubes as you can in a glass of water, fill it up with tap water, wait until all the ice has melted and give 10 minutes... by this time, the cold doesnt sting or numb the skin anymore... that's what the water there is like. The college kids who sat near our area even placed a bottle of coke on the water to cool their drink.

At first I hesitated about swimming close to the falls because the water's force might push me down and drown me. The basin was also deep at the center so I wouldnt want to get stuck there. A few minutes later, the college people went there and it didn't seem difficult, so I also tried it. From the rocks, the water appeared to be a light shower, but when you swim where the water falls, it's really heavy and continuous. There was slight difficulty in breathing because water is everywhere and some of it will tried to jump up my nose (hehe). Peter brought the camera to the area behind the falls so we snapped a few nice pictures under it. I'm glad our wet hands and all the mist flying around didn't damage the camera.

After an hour of swimming and rest, we were brought to a second destination. This time it's about 15 minutes of walking on large rocks again. This area is less accessible, and it's more slippery than the first... but the reward is, as usual, a wow! Lanzones Falls! There was more water rushing through the rocks and the basin was just a small (about 20 square meters) and shallow pool. We could feel the strength of the falls because of the winds that it generated. It was about the strength of industrial fans from 5 meters away. We jumped into the water and it was even colder than the first one. After about half an hour of dips and pictures, we took out a can of Pringles for lunch (oh my... hehe ... we had a heavy breakfast so it was just fine).

Half an hour later, we were on our way back. It was more difficult because our sandals were already wet and we were tired. It took us almost 3 hours to go back down. I could feel the pain in my knees and feet, I was running out of energy (I just slept for an hour the day before) and my colds were trying to get back. I would ask to stop from time to time and I wasn't laughing anymore. We bought some coconuts on our descent from a farmer there thinking that it would refresh us and ease up the pain in the joints. It didn't help. Even worse, it rained hard and I thought it was game over for me on the last stretch. Anyway, we just waited for the rain to stop and kept on until we reached the registration point. It was a long way back, I wish we had camped up there and stayed overnight to gather up more energy. We had an early dinner at the same restaurant and drove off with full stomachs. I was knocked out most of the time, sleeping all the way to Manila. Went straight to bed when I reached home. I was super exhausted. ZZZZzzzzz.....

It was fun! I don't need to convince anyone! It's worth a try... but please keep this place clean (don't leave any trash there) :) The next place I want to go is farther to the east... Real or Infanta in Quezon. I heard they have a couple of nice beaches there :)

No comments: