Monday, February 5, 2007

Dreaming 20 Years Back

I had a dream the other night which brought me many years back to the past.

... It started with an attempt to jump off some alien vehicle.

The squid-looking aliens were interested in a time machine developed by some scientist whose name or face I could not remember and I was taken along with him. The alien ship flew fast and high. It looked like a huge golden shoebox with an open top so it was really easy to escape, but at such high altitudes, it seemed falling off this shoebox meant certain death. We had to try anyway because there wasn't really anything more to lose. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and jumped off...

Everything was dark until I hit the ground, and as expected (hehe) I was alive. When I opened my eyes I immediately knew where I was. It was around 6pm, quiet and dim. I was outside my home, and it looked the way it was about 20 years ago. The ambiance was ghostly and nostalgic. As I got up and looked around, there felt like a powerful spirit embracing my presence, welcoming me back home. As I was about to touch the door, it opened. My mom opened the door and there was a young girl who walked out from it. She was around 16 and had short 70's looking hair. From the scenario I was guessing that I must have fallen into an alternate past and I was looking at what could have been my older sister. She did not talk to me, but mom called me and asked me to come in (I think she was the one who told me that the person who walked out was my sister).

(the scene went blank for a couple of seconds and then I was somewhere outside the house again, near our parking space)










Suddenly, from darkness, it turned to daytime. I saw two cars, both of which my father owned previously, a '74 Colt Galant and an '87 Lancer. I have never seen these things looking brand new in my lifetime, and I think it was only in this dream that they appeared this way.

I looked back at the house and could very well tell how much it has changed. The house radiates of youth and freshness, while the neighborhood was seemingly bustling... I can see and hear illusions of children playing and adults having a fine afternoon chat on the driveway. At the present times it doesn't happen as often anymore. Kids stay at home, while adults are busy working all day. We also used to go in and out of the neighboring houses freely, but now they are locked to keep away the thieves.

In that dream I also saw a friend who recently lost his mom and two brothers. I think he was also sent there to get another chance with his loved ones. We were once best friends in elementary, and I understood just how much he cared for these people. I even remember one time he was doing this strange countdown and cried when it reached 0:00:00, and I realized later that a close relative had just left the country.

So back at the dream scene... he set aside a couple of minutes before going to meet his family, we played and ran around the cars as kids and laughed -- it seemed like nonsense but the childhood laughter I experienced was so real, it was an easy and focused burst of joy. Unfortunately, as an adult, I think it's not exactly the same experience because you'll need to manage the feelings. People will think you're crazy if you laugh too much over nothing, or you can end up suicidal if you don't hold yourself up against your negative feelings.

I did something nasty in my dream. I told people about their futures. I think I dropped the biggest spoilers of their lives there...

... I woke up to the sound of the alarm.

No comments: