Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Tahong (Mussel) Chips

I am not sure if this one is new, but I was too curious to try this product after I saw the small banner on a Collette's store somewhere in Tagaytay -- Tahong Chips. They looked like nachos, but they were brownish and had dark spots (probably the crushed tahong). It also came with a small pouch of vinegar so I was already thinking chicharon and salt & vinegar flavored Tostitos (or is it Doritos?) I have never seen anything like it, but tried it anyway -- 20 pesos to kill my curiosity.

On the first few bites they were OK and tasted like dried seaweed or Nori, the one used for wrapping sushi. The vinegar somewhat helped to add to the taste, (it wasn't really bad) but after a few pieces I couldn't finish it anymore. I think the mussel flavor is too strong because just a few minutes later I could feel the ocean fresh aftertaste and was burping musselbreath already. I got the same result when I brought it home for the others to try... it was tough to finish this bag of chips.

Another site says this product is gaining popularity, but personally I found it weird for my taste.

No comments: